Re: ipmisensors module ported to 2.6.29

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:22:39 +0100, Luca Tettamanti wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > For IPMI, I don't know if "ipmitool sensor" can be run as non-root,
>> > this needs to be confirmed. I presume it depends on the permissions of
>> > the /dev/impi* nodes.
>>
>> Yes, the user needs rw permission on the device node.

>> > The bottom line is that anyone who pushes IPMI sensors support forward
>> > has my blessing. Honestly, I don't care that much whether it is in the
>> > kernel or in libsensors, as long as it finally happens. It has been
>> > pending for sooooo long :(
>>
>> +1 ;-)
>> I have the hardware (a few Dell servers) so at least I can do testing
>> (and hopefully some coding).
>
> Would you be willing to work together with Paul to put ipmisensors code
> into shape to be finally merged into the kernel? After it is confirmed
> that ipmisensors won't cause trouble to ipmisensors, of course.

I _might_ be able to hijack a development machine during the weekend,
otherwise for testing I'd have to backport to 2.6.26 (Debian) since I
really can't do a lot of reboots to test a kernel module.

> Then we can discuss whether a libsensors-based implementation would
> make sense, but if you need rw access to /dev/ipmi0 then I guess a
> user-space implementation becomes unrealistic.

But easier to test for me :P
BTW, I did a quick recompile of ipmitool opening the device node ro:
it still works (or at least it seems to).

Luca