Specific configurations - Gigabyte mainboard

On Mon, 11 May 2009 14:57:57 +0200, Hubert Kario wrote:
> On Monday 11 May 2009 13:17:22 you wrote:
> > Hi Hubert,
> >
> > On Sat, 9 May 2009 12:27:09 +0200, Hubert Kario wrote:
> > > Hello everybody!
> > > I've created a mainboard specific configuration for Gigabyte EP45-DS3P:
> > >
> > > === snip ===
> > > chip "it87-*" "it8712-*" "it8716-*" "it8718-*" "it8720-*"
> >
> > Which actual IT87xxF chip does the EP45-DS3P have?
> IT8720, I'll check when I'll be able to how it's visible by lspci/sensors, I
> don't know when it will be though, maybe today evening, maybe in a week's time

OK, no hurry. lspci won't show anything as this is not a PCI device.
sensors-detect should tell you.

> > >         label in0 "Vcore"
> > >         label in1 "Vram"
> > >         label in2 "+3.3V"
> > >
> > >         label in3 "+5V"
> > > 	# Standard resistor
> > >         compute in3 @ * ( 6.8/10+1), @ / (6.8/10+1)
> > >
> > >         ignore in4
> > >
> > >         label in5 "+12V"
> > > 	# that's a bit weird, as the value (29.6) is close to typical resistor,
> > > 	# but it does give proper results (in line with what a multimeter
> > > 	# and BIOS show)
> >
> > Could be that the 10 isn't correct. Not that it really matters
> > though... what matters is that the scaling factor is correct.
> >
> > >         compute in5 @ * (29.6/10+1), @ / (29.6/10+1)
> > >
> > >         ignore in6
> > >
> > > 	# not sure about this one
> > >         label in7 "5VSB"
> > >         compute in7 @ * (6.8/10+1), @ / (6.8/10+1)
> > >
> > >         label in8 "Vbat"
> > >
> > > 	# labels are after the ones printed on the mainboard
> > >         label fan1 "CPU_FAN"
> > >         label fan2 "SYS_FAN2"
> > >         label fan3 "PWR_FAN"
> > >         label fan4 "SYS_FAN1"
> >
> > These labels are ugly. What about:
>
> yes, I know, but these are the exact ones that are printed on the mainboard...
> and besides CPU_FAN, they can be connected to any fan one wishes (northbridge
> is passively cooled in this mainboard)

This is true of all (almost) motherboards out there. Still, we want to
present the inputs in a user-friendly way for users sticking to the
planned usage of the fan headers. Presumably, anyone able to diverge
from this will be able to adjust the configuration file accordingly.

> >         label fan1 "CPU Fan"
> >         label fan2 "Sys Fan 2"
> >         label fan3 "Power Fan"
> >         label fan4 "Sys Fan 2"
> >
> > >         label temp1 "Sys Temp"
> > >         label temp2 "Tcase Temp"
> >
> > Why "Tcase" and not just "Case"?
> because it's the Tcase temp of a CPU (temperature of an IHS)
>
> I bet "Case Temp" would be read as ambient temperature by most people
> (temperature inside the computer case), making it Tcase should clear the
> confusion, especially when after putting "tcase temp" to google one does
> recive "C2Q/C2D Temp Guide" as first result and "Tcase/Tjunction/Temp
> question" as second

Ah, OK. Then why not just "CPU Temp"? This would be much clearer. It's
not like you have other CPU temperature sensors on the chip.

> > >         ignore temp3
> > > === snip ===
> >
> > Yes it does, thanks for your contribution!
> np
>
> BTW, I couldn't use "compute" with "Core 0" and "Core 1" labels (I wanted to
> calibrate my core temperatures)
> line:
>
>  compute "Core 0" @ +3, @ -3
>
> was completely ignored...

Compute statements take symbolic names, not labels, as their first
parameter. Try:

  compute temp1 @ +3, @ -3

--
Jean Delvare