w83793 related question

> What makes you think there is a relation between SMM and ACPI?

There should be. See ACPI specs and Global lock chapter. It should be a hw lock
between ACPI and SMM code touching the hw. Maybe we are lucky and something like
this is really implemented.

But since the 1) is true I would suspect that we just see some other transactions.

>> 3) Make a driver more bullet proof. Maybe it would be possible somehow to force
>> the driver to have a longer timeouts, more retries etc.
>
> This is pointless. If another entity is accessing the chip without
> proper locking, no amount of timeouts or retries will help. In this
> scenario, reported errors are in fact the best thing than can happen.
> The worst case is silent misbehavior.

It is not pointless if this entity is just observed. I mean it is not using the
i2c hw like our driver but it is using the bus itself.

Thanks,
Rudolf