fancontrol

Hi Jean.

> Do you actually know of one NAS or router running busybox and needing
> software-based fan speed control? Or is this just a theory?
Theory.

>> force_load is function for initramfs-tools hook script...
> That's kind of a misnomer, as it isn't forcing anything.
May be, you can suggest the better name?
 > It just load the driver early.
Yes.

> OK, I understand your setup now. But I fail to see how the it87 driver
> alone helps. Loading the it87 driver shouldn't change any fan speed. So
> I suppose that you also included the fancontrol script in your
> initramfs, or maybe some custom script just slowing down one fan?
simple echo

> Please don't compress patches, it only makes them harder to review.
ok

> Please fold long lines.
Excuse me, i don't pay attention.

 > As not all hwmon class devices have a device backing them up, this
 > could be a problem for some users.
But it is possible to specify absolute path for them.

> Also, to be truly useful for users, the possibility to use absolute
> paths should be used by the pwmconfig script, by following and
> resolving the device link of hwmon class devices before writing the
> configuration file. Care to give it a try?
I know. This fix is very simple and quick.
Path mixing and pwmconfig is not so easy to fix.
But not only paths should be reworked. Pid file is hardcoded. Egrep is
deprecated. Configuration file is not very simple. Maybe it is the right
time to rework whole fancontrol and pwmconfig. Or it will be better to
save time for write new daemon. I can't find any suitable one of some
which can be extended.

>>> Not to say that it can't be done properly for hwmon devices. But do
>>> you have some concrete proposal? "Let's just use udev" doesn't tell me
>>> much.
>> I don't clearly understand how udev works.
> OK, so it was just hand-waiving. Wonderful.
I was interested in you opinion about udev, no more.

--
sergio