DS75: 12-bit support question

Hi Jean,

Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:11:34 +0100, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have just realized that there have already been an attempt to get
>> 12-bit support into the LM75 driver:
>>
>>   http://marc.info/?t=120836918500008&r=1&w=4
>
> Yes, I remember David (Cc'd) had been working on it.
>
>> But it's not obvious too me why it was finally abandoned. In the GIT log
>> I just find:
>>
>>      - More careful initialization.  Chips are put into 9-bit mode so
>>        the current interconversion routines will never fail.
>>
>> What have I missed?
>
> I can't remember exactly either, I suspect there was some remaining
> polishing that never happened and the patch was lost because of this.
> This is also the time when we lost our hwmon subsystem maintainer,
> which probably didn't help keep track of floating patches. But there is
> no problem with adding 12-bit resolution support to the lm75 driver for
> chips which have this feature, if you are interested and willing to
> work on it.

OK, I see. A customer was asking for 12-bit support, but I doubt that
there is any benefit because the accuracy of the mounted DS75 is just
+-2 degree. And most LM75 compatible devices are not more accurate, I
think. If he decides to calibrate the dtt, e.g., I might get an
opportunity to add to 12-bit support.

Thanks,

Wolfgang.