Chassis intrusion detection

Hi Fred,

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:19:37 +0100, Fred . wrote:
> Why does 'libsensors' not have support support for chassis intrusion?

Because libsensors builds on top of a standardized sysfs interface, and
said interface doesn't include chassis intrusion at the moment. So the
first step would be to define such a standard interface at sysfs level,
then make sure all drivers implement it properly, and only then it
will be possible to add support in libsensors.

> As I understand it, chassis intrusion is a feature that is supported
> by the Super-I/O integrated circuit?

By any hardware monitoring chip, optionally.

> How is communication done with the Super-I/O circuit? Is it via I2C? LPC?

Most often SUper-I/O chips are accessed via LPC, but some of them
(SMSC) have their hardware monitoring block accessed via the SMBus
instead.

> Where in /sys/class/hwmon/ would I find chassis intrusion?
> In my /sys/class/hwmon/ there are links to other directories, there
> are hwmon0, hwmon1, hwmon2 where hwmon0 and hwmon1 are linked to
> coretemp.0 and coretemp.1.
> hwmon2 points to /sys/devices/platform/f71882fg.2560/hwmon/hwmon2/
>
> /sys/devices/platform/f71882fg.2560/hwmon/hwmon2$ ls
> device  power  subsystem  uevent
>
> /sys/devices/platform/f71882fg.2560$ ls
> driver      fan2_alarm  fan3_beep   fan4_input  in1_beep   in3_input
> in7_input  power        temp1_crit       temp1_max       temp2_beep
>   temp2_input     temp3_alarm      temp3_fault     temp3_type
> fan1_alarm  fan2_beep   fan3_input  hwmon       in1_input  in4_input
> in8_input  subsystem    temp1_crit_hyst  temp1_max_hyst  temp2_crit
>   temp2_max       temp3_beep       temp3_input     uevent
> fan1_beep   fan2_input  fan4_alarm  in0_input   in1_max    in5_input
> modalias   temp1_alarm  temp1_fault      temp1_type
> temp2_crit_hyst  temp2_max_hyst  temp3_crit       temp3_max
> fan1_input  fan3_alarm  fan4_beep   in1_alarm   in2_input  in6_input
> name       temp1_beep   temp1_input      temp2_alarm     temp2_fault
>   temp2_type      temp3_crit_hyst  temp3_max_hyst

The f71882fg driver doesn't support chassis intrusion detection at the
moment (although the chip can do it, if wired properly, as you found
out yourself already.)

> The 'sensors' tool is supposed to mention chassis intrusion. Does it
> always do this, or only if its supported, or only if its triggered and
> is in alarm mode?

sensors 3 goes on top of libsensors 3 which doesn't support chassis
intrusion detection.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/wishlist.html