sensord with rrd

On 01/14/09 13:58, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:08:27 -0800, Mark E. Hansen wrote:
>> On 01/14/09 12:39, Jean Delvare wrote:
>> > Alarms are the last piece that has been ported to the standard sysfs
>> > interface (which lm-sensors 3 builds on top of.) See
>> > http://www.lm-sensors.org/ticket/2261
>> > for a list of drivers that have been fixed in recent kernels. So
>> > basically for proper alarm support with lm-sensors 3.x you need a
>> > recent enough kernel.
>>
>> To get the chip in my motherboard working (with either version or lm-sensors)
>> I had to get an updated kernel module (the chip is ITE IT8716F). The kernel
>> module is 'it87'.
>>
>> Is this what you mean, or is there other kernel support (other than the
>> it87 module, I mean) which is needed to get the alarms to work?
>
> I mean the it87 module, indeed. But each kernel version has a different
> version of that module, it gets improved over time. Alarm support
> suitable for lm-sensors 3 was added in kernel 2.6.25.

Well, one of the folks on the CentOS forum said that support for my particular
chip was in the 'upstream' kernel, and he created a kernel module from that
source (I don't know which kernel version it was, specifically). I'll go back
and ask him, then post a new question to this list about whether Alarm support
should be in there.

Thanks, and Sorry Mark for the thread-stepping.