ADT7463

Enrico Ng wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 15:24:38 +0100
> Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> Enrico Ng wrote:
>>> I have a JVC Mininote XP-MP7431 laptop.  It is pretty old but I know
>>> that I can control the fan using speedfan in windows.  I'm having
>>> trouble getting my sensors working in linux.  I am using ubuntu.
>>> When I do "sensors-detect" it does not detect anything.  I've tried
>>> if I need to recompile the kernel to add support or something.  I'm
>>> not sure whats already in there as I can't find the .config.
>>>
>>> I'd appreciate any help.
>>> Let me know if you need the output from any commands, I'm unsure
>>> about what to attach.
>> Hmm,
>>
>> That chip should be detected just fine, can you please try this
>> version of sensors-detect:
>> http://www.lm-sensors.org/browser/lm-sensors/branches/lm-sensors-3.0.0/prog/detect/sensors-detect?format=raw
>>
>> (All you need to do is safe the one file and make it executable)
>>
>> And include the output of running this in your next mail?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hans
>
> Here is the output, and I've attached some other output you may find
> useful.
>
> In /proc/acpi/fan, I have one fan but it only displays on/off state
> In /proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/ it has info  limit  power  throttling
> In  /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/ it has cooling_mode
> polling_frequency  state  temperature  trip_points

Ah, ok, so you've no (visible) smbus adapters, and acpi thermal management,
that means that the BIOS has hidden your smbus adapter, this can be worked
around, but this is a *BAD* idea, as this means that ACPI is using the smbus,
and we thus shouldn't touch it.

The fact that speedfan under windows does allow you to touch your hardware
monitoring is not really relevant in this case. We can drive / exposue your
hwmon IC, but we *really* don't want to.

Regards,

Hans