F8000 support added to f71882fg driver, test please.

Chuan-kai Lin wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 04:32:09PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> I got your email address from Jean Delvare. I'm the f71882fg maintainer
>> and I've been working on adding f8000 support to the f71882fg driver.
>> That work is now finished.
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thank you for your great work!  The module builds and loads fine in
> 2.6.27.8 on my Dell Studio Slim 540s desktop computer, and sensors shows
> fan speed, voltage, and temperature measurements.  Very cool!!  I have
> attached two files showing the driver in action:
>
> idle.txt - sysfs contents on an idle system right after bootup
> loaded.txt - sysfs contents + sensors output on a loaded system
>
> Here are some issues I found:
>
>  1. There are only two fans in my system.  The driver reports 0 RPM for
>     the third fan (which sounds right), and some absurdly high RPM for
>     the fourth fan (which sounds wrong).

Okay, well the IC can measure up to 4 fans, so 4 will be reported, one can
disable them in /etc/sensors.conf .

>  2. When the driver loads into the kernel, it reports that there are
>     three fans, and they are all in duty-cycle mode.  However, only the
>     CPU fan (fan2) uses a 4-pin connector; the case fan (fan1) uses a
>     3-pin connector.  I seem to recall that a fan on a 3-pin connector
>     can be controlled through only DC voltage?

4 pins fans allow more accurate fan speed measurement when controlled with pwm,
but 3 pin pans can be controlled with pwm too.

>  3. The full-speed number seems to record the maximum measured fan speed
>     instead of the maximum possible fan speed.

So this gets updated by hardware? This is not mentioned anywhere in the dcos,
but if that is the case that would be good!

>  4. I cannot change fan speed by altering tempX_auto_pointY_pwm values.
>     However, both the CPU fan and the case fan do speed up when the
>     system gets warm.

what does cat pwmX_enable give you, if it gives 3, the relevant pwm is in
thermostat mode see the documentation I also attached.

Regards,

Hans