sensors-detect: testers wanted!

Hi Matt,

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:55:12 -0600 (CST), Matt Roberds wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > So, I would like users to give a try to the latest version of
> > sensors-detect and report if it works fine for them or not.
>
> Short version: Nothing blew up, but the new version didn't find
> something that the old version did, until I gave different options to
> the new version.
>
> Long version: I unloaded the relevant kernel modules to simulate running
> sensors-detect on a system that hasn't had lm_sensors set up before.  I
> didn't use any command-line arguments to sensors-detect, and I took all
> the defaults by hitting "enter" at each prompt.  I did this for both the
> version from lm_sensors 3.0.3 (sensors-detect version 5337) and the
> latest version.  This is on a system with an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
> motherboard.
>
> The results from version 5337 (shipped with 3.0.3):
>
> ---
> Driver `to-be-written' (should be inserted):
>    Detects correctly:
>    * Bus `SMBus nForce2 adapter at 1c40'
>      Busdriver `i2c-nforce2', I2C address 0x2e
>      Chip `Analog Devices ADT7475' (confidence: 5)
>
> Driver `it87' (should be inserted):
>    Detects correctly:
>    * ISA bus, address 0x290
>      Chip `ITE IT8716F Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)
>
> Driver `k8temp' (should be inserted):
>    Detects correctly:
>    * Chip `AMD K8 thermal sensors' (confidence: 9)
>
> Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (yes/NO):
> To load everything that is needed, add this to one of the system
> initialization scripts (e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc.local):
>
> #----cut here----
> # I2C adapter drivers
> modprobe i2c-nforce2
> # Chip drivers
> # no driver for Analog Devices ADT7475 yet
> modprobe it87
> modprobe k8temp
> /usr/local/bin/sensors -s
> #----cut here----
> ---
>
> The results from the first run of the new version, taking all defaults:
>
> ---
> Driver `it87':
>    * ISA bus, address 0x290
>      Chip `ITE IT8716F Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)
>
> Driver `k8temp':
>    * Chip `AMD K8 thermal sensors' (confidence: 9)
>
> Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (yes/NO):
> To load everything that is needed, add this to one of the system
> initialization scripts (e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc.local):
>
> #----cut here----
> # Chip drivers
> modprobe it87
> modprobe k8temp
> /usr/local/bin/sensors -s
> #----cut here----
> ---
>
> The difference is that it didn't find the adt7475.  I re-ran the new
> version of sensors-detect, supplying non-default answers, in an attempt
> to get it to find the adt7475.  Here are the places where I gave
> non-default answers, and the results.

Yes, this is by design. One of the goals of the new probing logic is to
skip probes which aren't expected to work by default. The idea behind
this choice is that we want to limit SMBus probing because it has
caused trouble in the past. As the script found a full-featured Super
I/O chip, it doesn't expect an additional chip on the SMBus. This
heuristic happens to be incorrect in your case, where the board
manufacturer decided to use both the Super I/O sensors and an
additional chip on the SMBus.

I seem to remember that Asus has done a lot of boards on that model
lately. So one possibility to work around this issue is to tweak the
probing logic based on the motherboard vendor. We can get the vendor
string from either /sys/class/dmi/id/board_vendor or "dmidecode -s
baseboard-manufacturer". For Asus (and Tyan) we would keep probing the
SMBus even in the presence of an enabled Super I/O.

> [...]
> Probing for `Winbond W83792D'...                            No
> Probing for `Winbond W83793R/G'...                          No
> Probing for `Winbond W83627HF'...                           No
> Probing for `Winbond W83627EHF'...                          No
> Probing for `Winbond W83627DHG'...                          No
> Probing for `Asus AS99127F (rev.1)'...                      No
> Probing for `Asus AS99127F (rev.2)'...                      No
> Probing for `Asus ASB100 Bach'...                           No
> Probing for `Winbond W83L786NR/NG/R/G'...                   No
> Probing for `Winbond W83L785TS-S'...                        No
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM9240'...                     No
> Probing for `Dallas Semiconductor DS1780'...                No
> Probing for `National Semiconductor LM81'...                No
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1026'...                     No
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1025'...                     No
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1029'...                     No
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1030'...                     No
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1031'...                     No
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1022'...                     No
> Probing for `Texas Instruments THMC50'...                   No
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1028'...                     No
> Probing for `Texas Instruments THMC51'...                   No
> Probing for `ITE IT8712F'...                                No
> Probing for `SMSC DME1737'...                               No
> Probing for `SMSC SCH5027D-NW'...                           No
> Probing for `Fintek F75373S/SG'...                          No
> Probing for `Fintek F75375S/SP'...                          No
> Probing for `Fintek F75387SG/RG'...                         No
> Probing for `Winbond W83791SD'...                           No
>
> Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
> Just press ENTER to continue:
>
> Driver `it87':
>    * ISA bus, address 0x290
>      Chip `ITE IT8716F Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)
>
> Driver `to-be-written':
>    * Bus `SMBus nForce2 adapter at 1c40'
>      Busdriver `i2c-nforce2', I2C address 0x2e
>      Chip `Analog Devices ADT7475' (confidence: 5)
>
> Driver `k8temp':
>    * Chip `AMD K8 thermal sensors' (confidence: 9)
>
> Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (yes/NO):
> To load everything that is needed, add this to one of the system
> initialization scripts (e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc.local):
>
> #----cut here----
> # Chip drivers
> modprobe it87
> # no driver for Analog Devices ADT7475 yet
> modprobe k8temp
> /usr/local/bin/sensors -s
> #----cut here----
> ---
>
> Finally, here are some general comments on the new script.
>
> > sensors-detect revision $Revision$
>
> I assume this fixes itself when the script goes through the normal

Yes it would. Blame it on trac, it really should do the keyword
substitution when one asks for a file through the web interface, but it
doesn't. I really hope it gets fixed someday. That's the reason why I
gave the svn command to retrieve the file - you get keyword
substitution that way.

> > Some hardware monitoring chips are accessible through the ISA I/O ports.
> > We have to write to arbitrary I/O ports to probe them. This is usually
> > safe though. Yes, you do have ISA I/O ports even if you do not have any
> > ISA slots! Do you want to scan the ISA I/O ports? (yes/no/IPMI ONLY):
>
> You should include a few words in the help text about what IPMI ONLY
> does and why you would want to choose it or not choose it.  Will the
> script behave with options that have spaces in them?

Yes, the script simply matches the 1st letter of each option, so spaces
aren't an issue. But that's also pretty fragile. I didn't invent it,
the script was written that way originally. But I agree that there is
room for improvement.

The reasons for probing only for IPMI devices on the ISA bus are: IPMI
can be found on all systems while ISA hardware monitoring chips are
only found on old systems, and IPMI probing is read-only while we need
to write to I/O ports for the other chips. I wanted to keep things as
simple as possible, assuming that most users would just go with the
default answer, but you are more curious than I expected ;)

An alternative would be to simply split IPMI interface probing to its own
section, as these are fundamentally different from legacy ISA chips.
I'll think about it. I am curious what others think about this idea.

I didn't want to explain everything in detail in the script, again to
not frighten the user with long explanations, when most users should be
able to just hit "Return" and be done with it. But maybe I am too
optimistic and the lack of information is what will frighten the
users ;)

I'm not sure how to add more information without making sensors-detect
painful to use in the main case. Maybe we can add all the detailed
information to the manual page? Or maybe something like make oldconfig
in the kernel, that is, answering "?" to any question displays a help
text and asks the question again? Suggestions welcome.

> I hope this helps!

Yes it does. I am certainly not the best person to get the user
interface of sensors-detect right, as I am way too familiar with it. So
having feedback from users is very valuable.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare