New Asus board and multiple sensors chips (W83667HG/W83791D/ADT7475)

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Marco Chiappero <marco at absence.it> wrote:
>> Hum, anything in dmesg?
>> Anyway I'm attacching the new version (plus patch for ACPI - diffed
>> against git-current, but it's easily adapted to older kernels).
[...]
> I compiled and loaded the new atk driver and compiled again lm-sensors with
> the old patch (that was laying around in my /usr/src) and this time I
> managed to see the atk driver readings from the "sensors" output (don't know
> why it didn't work the first time, sorry). However I noticed that the code
> you posted recently it's a little bit different, isn't? Should I try that
> one too?

The patch for lm-sensors? I've just rebased to SVN-current.

> About the atk, it seems to work fine, but I haven't got the time to verify
> the presence of strange issues, regarding for example suspend and/or
> hibernate, stuff like that (does it matter?).

The driver is stateless, so it shouldn't matter (testing won't harm though :P)

> The only thing to say is that in the new code now shows all the readings in
> the /sys/class/hwmon/hwmonX/ dir instead of the
> /sys/class/hwmon/hwmonX/device/ I used to see with many other sensors chips.

Both are supported, I'm not sure which one is "better" - I used the
class directory since the ATK device also controls stuff other than
hwmon.

> I know that no fan control is possible with this driver, however I was
> asking to myself whether it is possible to select on the fly one of the
> three "silent, normal, turbo" profiles available in the BIOS settings. Even
> if it is not a fine fan tuning, such regulation should be enough for me.

It's doable using the Q-FAN interface. You use the interface calling
GITM/SITM with class 0x4 (see the documentation embedded in my
driver). There are at least 3 different types of control in this
class, you'll have to reverse engineer the exact calling interface
(start with the getters).

> One, last thing: I use to collect and plot system data with collectd and
> rrdtool, but collectd seems to ignore the atk driver. I know, I should read
> the code, however any idea for addressing this issue?

I suppose that collectd is using the unpatched libsensor which ignores
the ATK device (it's attached to the unknown ACPI bus).

Luca