pwmconfig failure under Ubuntu Intrepid with Intel 945GM chipset

Hi Dan,

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:38:30 -0500, Dan Davison wrote:
> pwmconfig fails with the message
>
>   /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
>
> Looking at the pwmconfig shell-script, the error occurs because there are no pwm* files in the relevant place:
>
> ~> ls /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon*/device/
> /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/device/:
> driver  hwmon  modalias  name  power  subsystem  temp1_crit  temp1_crit_alarm  temp1_input  temp1_label  uevent
>
> /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/device/:
> driver  hwmon  modalias  name  power  subsystem  temp1_crit  temp1_crit_alarm  temp1_input  temp1_label  uevent
>

> However, despite a few hours googling, I am unclear whether there is
> any hope that I can get this working, and if so what to do next. This
> is a Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook S Series laptop which has the an Intel
> Core Duo processor with Intel 945GM chipset, and is running Ubuntu
> Intrepid (fully updated).

On most recent laptops, thermal management is handled by ACPI. No
hardware monitoring chips are exposed to the OS and thus software-based
fan speed control is not possible (and most often not desirable either
- the ACPI-based control should work just fine.)

> I've looked at http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices, but don't fully
> understand the information there. Under SENSOR CHIP DRIVERS there is
> this entry
>
> Intel   Core, Core 2  yes  coretemp   2.6.22  (2007-03-25) Integrated sensor in CPU. Driver contributed by Rudolf Marek.
>
> Is this good news, or is it saying that there's just temperature stuff
> but no fan control?

The coretemp driver lets you read the CPU temperature value of Intel
Core and later CPU models. It is not a hardware monitoring chip driver,
so, no fan speed readings nor control.

> and under I2C/SMBUS BUS DRIVERS there are several entries for Intel
> none of which obviously correspond to my hardware.
>
> I've run sensors-detect which results in (full output at bottom)
>
> Driver `smartbatt' (should be inserted):

FWIW, the smartbatt driver is a legacy thing for Linux 2.4. I seem to
remember that ACPI is taking care of this now (at least on some laptop
models). The ACPI driver is named sbs. We should no longer recommend
the smartbatt driver.

>   Detects correctly:
>   * Bus `SMBus I801 adapter at 18e0'
>     Busdriver `i2c-i801', I2C address 0x0b
>     Chip `Smart Battery' (confidence: 5)
>
> Driver `coretemp' (should be inserted):
>   Detects correctly:
>   * Chip `Intel Core family thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)
>
> This coretemp module is loaded and is providing temperature
> readings. I don't know if it has anything to do with fan control.

No, it doesn't. It is a simple temperature-only driver.

> Running sensors gives
>
> ~> sensors
> acpitz-virtual-0
> Adapter: Virtual device
> temp1:       +26.8?C  (crit = +100.0?C)
> temp2:       +26.8?C  (crit = +100.0?C)
>
> coretemp-isa-0000
> Adapter: ISA adapter
> Core 0:      +43.0?C  (crit = +100.0?C)
>
> coretemp-isa-0001
> Adapter: ISA adapter
> Core 1:      +43.0?C  (crit = +100.0?C)
>

> (I have not observed the first two temperatures be anything other than
> 26.8).

These are the ACPI temperatures, if they never change, this suggests
that the ACPI implementation of your laptop is broken. Upgrading the
BIOS might help. As a side note, the value 26.8 itself is pretty
suspicious, considering that 26.8 + 273.2 (the difference between the
degree C and Kelvin scales) == 300.

> I'd like to be able to modify my fan behaviour but don't know what to
> do in order that pwmconfig runs. Thanks very much for any help. Full
> output from sensors-detect follows.

pwmconfig will most likely never work on your system, sorry. If you
need to control your fans, and if this can indeed be done, this will
either be done through ACPI, or through a laptop-specific kernel driver.

--
Jean Delvare