Making the ticket system private

Hi all,

Most tickets created in trac by the "ticket" user (i.e. anonymous
users) are of the "I can't get sensors to work on my system" type. In
most cases, this is either because the user did something wrong (didn't
run sensors-detect, or didn't load the required modules, or is running
an old kernel or old version of lm-sensors) or because the machine in
question simply doesn't have any supported hardware monitoring chip. In
other words, that's not a bug.

I'd rather see these requests go to the lm-sensors mailing list, where
298 persons are reading them, than in the ticket system where only 12
persons are notified and 4 of them have a personal account on the
ticket system to actually help. (In theory, anonymous users can help as
well, using the "ticket" account, but in practice it never happens.) I
think the chances for users to get an answer within a reasonable time
would be significantly higher on the mailing list.

On top of that, the fact that users have to use the "ticket" account to
create new tickets and follow-up on them is pretty annoying. In many
cases users forget to mention their e-mail address so they don't get
notified when we reply later on, which means they are wasting their
time reporting the problem and we are wasting our time trying to solve
it. Or they give their address in later comments and we have to add it
manually, which is extra work for us.

So I would like to propose the deletion of the "ticket" account. I
value the ticket system very much when it comes to development. As a
development tool for tracking progress towards the next milestone, the
ticket system makes a lot of sense. But as a bug tracking tool for the
public, it sucks. As a matter of fact, we have 53 tickets open at the
moment, 10 of which were opened in 2006, and 14 in 2007. Honestly, most
of these tickets are rotting in place. I don't get the point of putting
issues in a tracking system if they get ignored in the end anyway. If
we do not have the manpower for and/or interest in tracking these
public tickets, then it's better for everyone to not let them be
created in the first place. At least, when posting to a mailing list,
people know that if they don't get an answer within a week, odds are
that they won't get an answer at all and they should try a different
approach.

--
Jean Delvare