GM965 IGP temperature detector

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:33:47 +0000, lu zhihe wrote:
> Dear all:
>
>        I just write a little tool to detect my GM965 IGP's temperatue, it
> bases on coreboot's inteltool.
>        Several people try it ,and it seems work.
>        Do you think it can be adapt to Lm-sensors ?
>        It just use PCI read/write, maybe don't fall on i2c,isa or acpi bus.

Yes, it should be easy to adapt to lm-sensors, all you need to do is
move the code to a Linux kernel driver and add sysfs attributes to
export the temperature to users-space.

The fact that this is a PCI device isn't a problem at all, we already
have several hwmon drivers for PCI devices: k8temp, sis5595, via686a,
vt8231 and, I believe, i5k_amb.

>       The code is here:
>
> http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/attachments/20081026/0f52e1e7/attachment-0001.gz
>
>       It's format is tar.gz

A couple notes:

* You make use of PCI_FILL_CLASS while as far as I can tell you don't
need it. This prevents your tool from building with older pci header
files so you may want to stop using it.

* On my laptop with an ICH7, the tool reports "Your GPU temperature is
under 40 degrees Centigrade". This laptop has an ATI Radeon graphics
chip so the Intel IGP isn't used. So I am curious if the value returned
by your tool is meaningful or not?

* Note that the correct unit name is degree Celsius, not degree
Centigrade.

--
Jean Delvare