superio lock coordinator

Hi David,

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:23:23 -0600, David Hubbard wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 4:40 AM, Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> wrote:
> > What we really need for sensors-detect is simply the value of registers
> > 0x20 and 0x21, and values of registers 0x30, 0x60 and 0x61 for a
> > selected logical device. In what form we export these, needs to be
> > discussed.
>
> Should superio-locks enumerate the available logical device ID's,
> perhaps as a sysfs interface?

I don't have anything precise in mind, I admit. All I can say is that
it needs to be extensible, in case we need to export more register
values in the future.

> >> David,
> >> do you have a preference wrt fn-ptr ? and if so, a single fn with 1 arg
> >> :  0,1,2 for enter/exit/query ?
> >> do you have any use for a flag bit ?  is there generality in it ?
>
> I think we could just use the same enter and exit sequences for
> everything, and not make it customizable. Does that sound OK?

No. We can have a universal exit sequence, but enter sequences are
per-chip (or actually per chip family). That's even one part of the
device identification (lets us differentiate between two chips with the
same device ID register value.)

--
Jean Delvare