sensors-detect killed my CPU

Am Sonntag, den 04.05.2008, 20:16 +0200 schrieb Jean Delvare:
> On Sun, 04 May 2008 19:47:22 +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
> > I searched the "Bios and Kernel Developer Guide" for smbus and found
> > those results
> >
> > http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/31116.PDF
> >

> There's probably a lot to read and do there, too bad I don't have the
> time :(

He He, the BKDG is tough to read. I tried to figure out the SMbus
adresses.

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=baredit-sidebandeis.jpg

This is the register where the adress should be in bits 4:6 whom are all
zero. However bit 3 is set and that should mean that the sideband
interface is used.

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=sidebandumy.jpg

I plan to ask amd for clarification and for that SBI document they
rerefer to. I also plan to RMA my cpu btw.

> > Information about the SBI SMBus register address can be read from the
> > pci register F3x1E8. lspci does not output values beyond 0xFF.
>
> It does :) You only have to swap the bytes yourself due to x86 being
> little-endian. Better use setpci with no value, you can tell it the
> width of the register (.w for 16-bit, .l for 32-bit.)

Thank you for the tip. But under linux only the address space from
0x00-0xFF is accesible thru /proc/bus/pci...
I tried to access 0x1E4 that way

setpci -s 0:18.3 0x1E4.l

and only got 0xFFFFFFFF back. Same happens if i try to read
from /proc/bus/pci/00/18.3 direct (with a small python script).

I tried to read out 0x6e with the -r option. It is possible to read the
following areas without making the smbus controler nonfunctional.
0x00-0x7F,
0x80-0x9d,0xa0-0xbd,0xc0-0xdd,0xe0-0xfd

ALso i tried to run sensors-detect with excluding 0x2e,0x6e and 0x47. It
passed but afterwards I had to restart to get rid of the XX'es in the
i2cdump.