sensors-detect killed my CPU

Am Sonntag, den 04.05.2008, 14:39 +0200 schrieb Jean Delvare:
> Hi Achim,
>
> On Sun, 04 May 2008 14:03:32 +0200, achim wrote:

> > > I misread nearly all characters in the first place ~0.5 mm text height
> > > is adveturous reading. Panet3dNow made a very clear picture of the chip
> > > I already posted a link to their webpage.
>
> Ah, sorry, I missed that. OK, the picture really says 9LPRS477BKL. Odd
> that there is no reference to this on the IDT website. Rudolf, can you
> please try to get information about this chip? If you can also get
> information about the '471 and '478 models, that would be great too.
>
> > > 9LPRS471 and 9LPRS478 where clock generator chips for the 690G chipset.
> > > Googling for 9LPRS478 shows a link to the IDT page where you can
> > > download a datasheet.
>
> I already tried this, unfortunately the link is apparently to a
> datasheet for a different chip (ICS951464). I can tell it's not the
> same chip because the 9LPRS478 is in a VFQFPN 72 package (square, with
> pins on 4 sides) while the 951464 is rectangular with pins on 2 sides.
>
> > > Fortunately I have such a board here.
> > >
> > > i2cdetect -l shows the PIIX4 adapter
> > > i2cdetect 0 shows there is someting at 0x50,0x51 and 0x69
>
> 0x69 is the address of the ICS951464 according to the datasheet.
Yepp, I tried different ref HT and PCIe clocks and that result in a
different output of the 0x69 dump.

The odd thing is the Sapphire board uses the same clock chip as the M3A
but does not show that chip at 0x69.

> > > none of those adddresses can be dumped. I Tried each one after a cold
> > > start, because as you expected this was required on the sapphire board
> > > to get the dump work again.
>
> Hmmm, that's strange. 0x50 and 0x51 are your memory module SPD EEPROMs,
> they should be dumpable. For 0x69 you should use the "s" mode of
> i2cdump.

I must use nolapci and irqpoll to boot the 2.6.24 kernel on that
machine, does this have an impact?

> > > I also have an Gigabyte 780G board and an Asus M3A board (770 chipset)
> > > here.
> > > ?
> No idea what is the chip at 0x38. At 0x69 it's usually clock chips.
Maybe it is the voltage regulator chip, on the M3A it's this one

ISL6559
http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/13605.pdf

on the GBt board it's a ISL6323
http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn9278.pdf

The sapphire board has digital PWM and no voltage regulator chip.

The DFI Lanparty NF4 has an voltage regulator chip at the right bottom
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/DFI/LPNF4Expert/images/board.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/DFI/LPNF4Expert/images/cpuarea.jpg
ISL6559CB

All those voltage regulator chips seem to have no smbus interface so the
chip at 0x2e and 0x4e must be something different.

At 0x6e i'd expect the clock generator. I'll switch back to the sapphire
board now and will do some ref HT modifications there. Is there a simple
way to skip the reading at 0x9e?

I found the part number of chip number four. :)
It's an ICS9DB403DGLF

http://www.idt.com/?genID=9DB403

I just skimmed over the specs, that chip is related to the pcie and has
an smbus interface.

How did you find out the address of the 690G clock chips by looking at
the specs?