request for direction

I'm not sure where to begin looking, but here's what I'd like to do:

I have a device that reads data from userspace and writes it to a
hardware location and then 'burns' that data for a variable amount of
time depending on a i2c temperature sensor.

I have a lookup table that defines my temperature values, I can read
and write the i2c values using the i2c-dev interface, however, I'd
like to have my driver go fetch new i2c values every X number of
cycles and get updated temperatures without having to go out to
user-space and back.  I don't even need the information for a cycle or
2, so speed is not a big requirement

Is there a good example of something like this within the kernel for
reading an i2c device from within a driver?

-Alan