PATCH: add support for lm_sensors 3.0.0 to gkrellm

Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:26:48 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> For those interested. I've made the patch so that gkrellm can be compiled
>> against the new version (or the old) and so that the identification strings of
>> the sensors do not change and thus old gkrellm configs will continue to work as is.
>
> Random comments:
>
>> +			snprintf(sensor_path, sizeof (sensor_path), "%s:%s",
>> +				name->prefix, name->path ? name->path : "NULL");
>
> name->path can't actually be NULL. BTW, I wonder why you need
> name->path at all. This is meant for libsensors internal use,
> applications shouldn't care about it. Also note that the path is not
> guaranteed to be consistent across reboots.

gkrellm used todo all reading of sysfs files (and other type of info like ibm
acpi) itself, it has an interface for this where the read_method for a sensors
"driver" (for example direct /sysfs access, libsensors, hddtemp deamon, ...)
gets passed 1 string and 2 ints.  The above and below code is a way of
shoehorning libsensors chip_name struct into one string and one int (the second
int is used for the feature number).

>> +			/* failsafe tests, will bus type and nr fit in 8 bits
>> +			   signed and addr fit in 16 bits signed ?
>> +			*/
>
> Unfortunately not: for SPI, the bus number can require 16 bits. It's
> due to the weird way spi-core uses to number buses dynamically, it
> should really be addressed someday, but at the moment it isn't.

UGH, how often does this happen? Note that currently gkrellm will simply skip
sensors for which the bus number > 8 bits. I've noticed that the pointers
returned by: sensors_get_detected_chips are constant between calls to
sensors_init() and sensors_cleanup(), so I could change the shoehorning to put
a pointer to the chipname in hex format into the string (on 64 bit it won't fit
into an int) but that feels really really dirty!

>> I've also send this upstream, and its available here:
>> http://people.atrpms.net/~hdegoede/gkrellm-2.3.0-libsensors4.patch
>
> Note that I've stopped referring to "libsensors4" after I realized it
> could cause confusion. While the binary file will be named
> "libsensors.so.4", the library version will be advertised as
> "libsensors 3.0.0". So for example I've renamed the xsensors patch to:
>
> xsensors-0.60-libsensors-3.patch
>
> And I suggest that you do the same. The soname is an internal detail
> end users don't even need to know.

Okay, I got the nomenclature from you, I'll stop using it now.

>> The later is to be able to put up a link on the download page for the 3.0.0
>> RC's from the wiki, I haven't done this yet as this patch will not work with
>> rc2, it requires current svn.
>
> rc3 is released now, so you could proceed. However you'll need special
> permissions to edit the Download page. So I can either grant you these
> permissions if you want, or I can add the link for you if you prefer.

Either way is fine with me, but I'll probably be doing more patches as time
permits and I would like to put those on the wiki too, so I guess having
editing rights is the easiest in the end.

Regards,

Hans