lm-sensors 3.0.0-rc1 has been released!

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:38:41 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > >
> > > I've seen that cause endless problems in ACPI drivers (thinkpad-acpi has
> > > this issue on some deprecated codepaths).  It is really something to avoid
> > > if at all possible.
> >
> > I don't understand you. What should be avoided exactly?
>
> Stuff that will only work if the device is present at boot up/module
> load/library init.

Libsensors has worked that way for 9 years and nobody ever complained
about that particular point or even suggested that it could cause
problem or should be improved. As far as I can see, letting chips or
features go away after initialization time would require a major
redesign of the libsensors API. Such a redesign is not scheduled before
2015, and again I don't have the time for that anyway. Whoever wants
this to work, get to work on it by him/herself.

> > Why are you using mutex_lock_interruptible() rather than just
> > mutex_lock() as all the other hwmon drivers do?
>
> Because I don't want to get anything stuck in D state and not responding to
> signals.  Apart from bugs in thinkpad-acpi or ACPI subsystem that could
> cause weirdness, there is also the case where an application wants to use
> timers and I see no reason to interfere with that.

Stuck in D state? I don't understand. Won't the signal simply be
delayed until the lock is released?

> It is extremely easy to do kernel-side, it looks like the safer and more
> friendly-to-your-neighbours path, and userspace is supposed to be able to
> deal with syscalls returning EINTR, so why not sysfs operations?  Or did I
> get the whole idea incorrectly?

I don't know. I was asking simply because this has never been a
problem in the past, so I was curious why your driver was different,
or, as it turns out, why applications would start doing things that
they seemingly weren't doing before. I guess that I won't understand
why all this complexity is needed until you can present a real-world
case where these events you describe really happen. For now, I will
just wait for you to send patches if you think they are needed.

--
Jean Delvare