k8temp does produce sensible results

I wonder if somebody could throw some light on the following.  I have a new AMD
690 based mobo.  It seems to need k8temp sensor driver.  The i2c_piix4 module
also get loaded.

The data produced by sensors is complete rubbish:

k8temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Core0 Temp:
              +11 C
Core0 Temp:
              -11 C
Core1 Temp:
               +2 C
Core1 Temp:
               +4 C

I notice the sensors.conf file has no computations for this chip so I assume it
is supposed to produce correct answers directly:

chip "k8temp-*"

    label temp1 "Core0 Temp"
    label temp2 "Core0 Temp"
    label temp3 "Core1 Temp"
    label temp4 "Core1 Temp"

Does anybody know what is happening here and whether there is any resolution to
this problem available?

Many thanks

Dick