Proposal: remove watchdog support from fscher and fscpos drivers

Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:32:10 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> As you all know I've been working lately on moving the fscher driver to
>> individual alarm files and on merging the fscpos driver into the fscher driver.
>>
>> While typing a reply to Jean's review of the fscpos support for the fscher
>> driver, I came to the conclusion that it might be best to remove the watchdog
>> supporting sysfs attr from these 2 drivers, These sysfs attr are nothing more
>> then a raw export of the watchdog registers. If people want raw access they can
>> and should use i2c-dev. Thus I think it would best to just remove the watchdog
>> sysfs attr, reducing the driver size and complexity.
>
> (Repeating what I wrote in another thread, as this new thread is a
> better place:)

Yes, I saw your reply there too, but this whole discussion has got kinda
obsoleted by the fscscy driver also getting into the picture.

> I agree that the current watchdog implementation is poor, but you can't
> rip it away right now without offering a replacement. Either deprecate
> it and plan it for removal at a later point in time, or replace it with
> a proper implementation (or both.)

I understand that compatibility is important. Since with some bad sysfs api
decisions were made in the whole fscxxx series, my plan is now to do a new
driver called fscxxx without any of the baggage, and once that is reviewed an
in the kernel mark the entire fscher and fscpos driver as obsolete.

Regards,

Hans