datasheets?

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 18:52:40 +0200, Hans-J?rgen Koch wrote:
> Am Montag 09 Juli 2007 18:34 schrieb Juerg Haefliger:
> > I was always wondering if there is a specific reason why there are no
> > datasheets hosted on lm-sensors.org? Wouldn't it be useful to collect
> > publicly available datasheets on lm-sensors.org?
>
> Useful, yes. But I guess it's simply a legal problem. Just because a
> datasheet can be downloaded for free from the manufacturers website
> doesn't mean that you are entitled to re-publish it on your site.
> You'd have to obtain permission (in writing) for each datasheet,
> otherwise you can easily run into legal problems.

Hans is unfortunately correct. Ensuring the legality of such a
datasheet hosting would be a real pain.

When possible we link to the datasheets on our Device wiki page, this
should be sufficient in most cases. For older devices, datasheets are
sometimes no longer available from the manufacturer's website, I admit
this is a problem, but in that case, an interested developer can always
contact the driver author, who hopefully can either share a copy of the
datasheet or at least answer questions.

--
Jean Delvare