Fintek F71805F on Jetway J7F4K1G5D - fancontrol?

Max wrote:
> Newbie question here.  I have a Jetway J7F4K1G5D, w/ a VIA C7, CN700 North
> bridge and VT8237R south bridge.   It has the super i/o Fintek F71805F.
>
> I'm trying to get basic fan control working.

Hi Max,

I guess that by now you've found my thread about fan control on the
J7F2, which is a quite similar board.  If you haven't, search for my
name on this list over the last couple of weeks.

My 1.2GHz board is fanless, i.e. it has a passive CPU heatsink, and all
three of the fan connectors are non-controllable.  However the board
has unpopulated positions for control components for the CPU fan, and
my guess was that they are fitted on the 1.5GHz+ versions (which ship
with a CPU fan, as I presume yours does).  So you should be able to
control the speed of your CPU fan.

I would be most interested to know whether you get reliable fan speed
readings when the CPU fan is not set to full speed, so if you could
possibly check this before you return your board I would be very grateful.

One possibility would be to connect your case fan in parallel with the
CPU fan, allowing both to be controlled together.

You could also use a quieter, lower-volumne fan, or reduce the voltage
to your existing one; one common idea is to wire it between +5 and +12
so that it runs at 7v.  You can even buy inline cables for voltage reduction.

But are you sure that you need a case fan?  I have built a number of
things with mini-ITX boards and none have had any fans at all, until my
present 1U project.  What sort of power supply are you using?

Regards,

Phil.