2.6.22-rc4-mm1 -- ERROR: "input_register_polled_device" [drivers/hwmon/hdaps.ko] undefined!

On 6/6/07, Sam Ravnborg <sam at ravnborg.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 02:39:52PM -0400, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > On 6/6/07, Miles Lane <miles.lane at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ># CONFIG_INPUT_MISC is not set
> >
> > Doesn't kconfig select prerequesites of a "select"ed symbol? If it
> > does not I'd consider this a bug.
>
> I does not.
> Consider the following:
>
> config FOO
>        bool "FOO"
>        select BAR
>
> config BAR
>        bool "BAR"
>        depends on WHISKEY || VODKA
>
> config WHISKEY
>        bool "Thirsty?"
>
> config VODKA
>        bool "Need to be drunk"
>

> If you choose "FOO" you will get following configuration:
> #
> # Automatically generated make config: don't edit
> # Linux kernel version:
> # Wed Jun  6 20:54:18 2007
> #
> CONFIG_FOO=y
> CONFIG_BAR=y
> # CONFIG_WHISKEY is not set
> # CONFIG_VODKA is not set
>
> And one would say that the dependency of BAR was not correct.
> But kconfig has no way to determine if WHISKEY or VODKA is the right one.

Then it should not allow selecting FOO to begin with.

> I understand your input but often the reply is that select was used in the wrong way.

I understand that there are scenarios where select is wrong but I
believe here it is theproper construct. Input-polldev is a library
module and will never be used on its own, it just provides some
services for the drivers (the only reason it even has a visible entry
in Kconfig is that there may be out of tree modules using it).
Making drivers depend on polldev does not make sense. It also does not
make sense for all drivers using services of input-polldev to live in
the same directory. Therefore individual drivers attempt to select
polldev.

--
Dmitry