w83627dhg msi 975x problems

Hi David,

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:54:18 -0100, David Hubbard wrote:
> Hi Jean, Jordan,
>
> > That's really strange. The dumps will tell us more though.
>
> Jordan, be sure to reboot your machine and *not* load the w83627ehf driver.
>
> > If these modes were in use, pwmN_enable would be 3 or more if I
> > remember correctly. David knows the code better and should be able to
> > confirm that. So it really looks like it's not what your system uses.
>
> Correct. pwmN_enable = 2 would mean SmartFan I mode, but 2 or higher
> would mean automatic control by the w83627dhg chip. However, using
> PECI, the fan control could be done in ACPI (yuck) or possibly in the
> ICH7.

I thought that PECI was only dealing with temperature. Are you
suggesting that it also covers fan speed control? Or do you mean that
ACPI could do the fan speed control all in software based on the PECI
input and e.g. a GPIO pin for fan control?

BTW, I found that Maxim is doing chips to convert PECI signal to
regular I2C:
http://eetimes.eu/products/analog/198900334

--
Jean Delvare