w83627dhg msi 975x problems]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 10:33:59AM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> I don't think that Jordan's CPU fan goes off. My understanding is that
> what Jordan qualifies as "on/off" is the BIOS option (no way to set
> temperature limits), not the fan behavior when the option is enabled.

This is correct, it basically turns on/off the automatic fan speed
adjustments, it doesn't turn the fan off completely. I just want a way
to control the fan speed more precisely.

> I don't understand why the manual mode doesn't work either, but the
> following things could probably be tried:
>
> * Jordan, you say you tried manual mode when the option was disabled in
> your BIOS. Can you try again when the option is enabled? If the BIOS
> does extra initialization when the option is on, it might make a
> difference.

I have tried adjusting the PWM values with the bios option on/off and it
seemed to make no difference.

> * You could try to dump the registers of the W83627DHG chip with the
> BIOS option off, and then again with the option on, and see if there
> are relevant differences. Make sure you do NOT let the w83627ehf driver
> load, though, as it could overwrite a few settings. Assuming that your
> chip is at the standard address (0x295) you can dump its contents with:
>
> isadump 0x295 0x295
>
> If it lives at a difference address, adjust the command.

I will have to try this out tonight when I have some more time. I will
post the results then. BTW, I tried this command now (albeit with the
module loaded) and it does return output. Is there any easy way to make
sure my chip is actually at this address?

> * You could try leaving the option enabled in the BIOS, so the fan is
> in automatic mode, then check the value of all pwmN_enable files. If
> one has value >= 2, that should be the PWM output controlling your CPU
> fan. Then you can check the value of pwmN_target, and maybe change it
> to adjust the behavior.

Whether it's enabled or disabled in bios, all the pwmN_enable files are
set to 1.

> I seem to remember that the W83627DHG supports more fan control modes
> than the w83627ehf driver handles.

Maybe there's still some hope then? I'm supposing it's possible my
motherboard is using a method which the driver just doesn't support in
it's current state.

----- End forwarded message -----