w83627dhg msi 975x problems

I have a MSI 975x Platinum, which uses the w83627dhg. This one here:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=975X_Platinum_(Limited_Edition)&class=mb

I've applied the DHG patch to my kernel (2.6.20) but I'm currently having some
issues controlling the fan speeds. I've tried pwmconfig as well as manually
echoing some values to pwm1-4 and pwm1-4_enable. It does correctly control
my case fans, but it doesn't seem to have any effect over my CPU fan. I am
using one of the new 4 pin cpu fans.

My bios has a "smart fan" option for the CPU fan which does work correctly,
although this option is not very configurable in the BIOS, it's only an
on/off switch with no way to control the temperature that it raises the fan
speed at. I found an actual picture of the BIOS screen for reference:
http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1168231380Rzv7IS7G0U_2_15_l.gif

I was hoping to be able to control the CPU fan speed through lm_sensors instead.
Disabling the smart fan in the bios leaves the fan running at full speed, but
this doesn't seem to make a difference, pwm1-4 continue to have no effect on
the fan speed. Any ideas?