Proposal /sys/bus/class/hwmon/hwmon#/device/foo#_label

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 14:50:03 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Jean Delvare wrote:
> > On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 19:36:47 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >> (...) Last but
> >> not least doing things this way allows me to always give a proper reading
> >> without userspace needing to "guess" any further nescesarry calculations to get
> >> from the reading to an actual measurement.
> >
> > This is absolutely not different from all other hardware monitoring
> > drivers. And all other drivers handle it in user-space, because that's
> > the right design. I see no valid reason why it would be different for
> > your abituguru3 driver. All you need is one configuration file per
> > motherboard.
>
> Oh and yet another thing, since when should all conversions be done in
> userspace? I did exactly that with the abituguru 1/2 driver and there I had to
> change it to give the return the actual pin values in Volts and not register
> values, iow do the conversion in the driver. You are contradicting yourself!

What I really meant was that motherboard-specific conversions, such as
the ones accounting for voltage scaling resistors, belong to
user-space. The conversions from register values to standard units (mV,
RPM etc...) still belong to kernel-space in our model.

--
Jean Delvare