ADT7463

Hi Paul,

> David, I emailed Margit, but have not received a reply.
I think you will need to include lm-sensors at lm-sensors.org in your
message to get past spam filters, etc.

> This unit has a ADT7463 chip on it. I did a test to see if the BIOS based
> fan and temperature controls were working right.
> The fans that fails is #3, one of the 2 CPU fans. Fans #1 which is left to
> #3 is working perfectly. So is fan #1 in the back of the unit.
>
> I changed the pwm for fan #1 and set it to 255 and rpms go up to like 13K.
> The temp of the cpu goes down and so the other two sensors for local and sys
> temp. I had it running like this for about 5 min and I was expecting fan #3
> to go down in rpms as a result, but nothing. It stayed at the very same rpm.
>
> Then I ran fancontrol and all 3 fans respond to it, with the exception that
> with the other 2 fans, the moment you change pwm it has a direct
> correlation. I normally have pwm set at 64 or 32 which is more than adequate
> for temperature control. I can set fan #3 to pwm of 3 and it does not come
> down from 9400 rpms or so. If I do this to the other 2 fans they will
> probably stop of come very close to it. Is like the response curve for pwm
> is not the same for fan #3 and the other 2 fans.
>
> So, I don't know what is causing this, but is very irritating the noise this
> units make.  Could sensors be causing some corruption like with the
> thinkpads in some memory or register?

No. The thinkpad bug was an eeprom on the i2c bus. That's not related
to your hardware monitor.

> Is the fact that the other 2 fans work perfectly and #3 does not an
> indication of bad hardware?

That's what it sounds like. If you want to take the time to test it,
we can design some electrical tests for the outputs of the fans.
However, it may require soldering, and if you short the fan pins, you
can damage the motherboard, so I will only make suggestions if you
think that's what you want to do. If you can get the motherboard
replaced, that may be the best thing to do. The ADT7463 is not being
corrupted by the linux driver.

David