[patch] incomplete mtp008.c port to 2.6.18.2

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006, Jean Delvare wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:48:59 -0800 (PST), dean gaudet wrote:
> > - the mtp008 seems to hang and start reporting all zeroes/constant
> > garbage.  i'm skeptical this is just my hacked code though because the
> > BIOS "System Health Monitor" has the exact same problem after a few
> > minutes.
>
> I found the following in our FAQ:
> "Also, MTP008 chips seem to randomly refuse to respond, for unknown
> reasons. You can see this as 'XX' entries in i2cdump."
> So it might be a known issue with this chip. Which makes me wonder if
> it's worth having a driver if it'll stop working after only a few
> minutes. Unless this is a bug in the original drivers and we manage to
> fix it, of course.

i tried some more and had no luck avoiding this problem... and even
managed to cause it to shut off power to the cpu fans!  that made me a bit
nervous, and since i had a deadline for putting those boxes online i
decided to just live without sensors, alas.  (fortunately they're in a
redundant config, so i'm not so worried.)

thanks for the info though... i might try more in the future.

-dean