[lm-sensors sensors-detect] Found unknown chip with ID 0x8708

I have been having a similar problem.
I was able to get lm_sensors to work on 2.4 kernels by using the p4b_smbus.o
hotplug module.

However, when I upgraded to Fedora 6/Linux 2.6.18, it no longer works.
My understanding is that in Linux 2.6.x, it is no longer necessary to
use the p4b_smbus hotplug module since activation of Asus's "hidden"
SMBus is handled by code in drivers/pci/quirks.c

Now, I learned from the previous post that the SMBus is not enabled if
suspend is used and that I need to shut off the "Sleep States" in the
ACPI menu.

Is there any way to do this *without* recompiling the kernel?
i.e., can I pass parameters to the kernel in grup or even after
booting to get rid of the sleep states problem and get SMBus enabled?

Thanks