grafting lm-sensors 2.10.1 onto red hat kernel

Hi Steven,

On 10/30/2006, Steven Timm wrote:
> J. Baron's latest patch still reflects a pre-2.9.x version of
> lm_sensors as far as I can tell.  I will try to open
> a ticket with Red Hat on this.  Thanks

It's important that you understand that there is no relation between the
drivers in the lm_sensors package, which are for Linux 2.4, and the i2c
and hardware monitoring drivers in the Linux 2.6 kernel tree. This is
completely different code, and support for some chips is available on
one side and not on the other side. And this is going to diverge even
more in the future, as the 2.4 kernel driver set is more or less in
maintenance mode and newer hardware is rather unlikely to be ever
supported on 2.4 kernels.

So if you're going to ask Red Hat to add support for some hardware
monitoring devices to their RHEL4 product, do not ask them to add
lm_sensors 2.10.x drivers, it simply doesn't make sense. Instead, ask
them to backport hardware monitoring drivers from later 2.6 kernels.

They might have to also update user-space support from the lm_sensors
project for these backported drivers, but that's a separate issue.

--
Jean Delvare