Asus M2NPV-VM and lm-sensors not working

Hi,

Am Freitag 25 August 2006 19:50 schrieb Jean Delvare:
> Hi Prakash,
>
> > I set them to:
> > powernow-k8:    0 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0x11
> > powernow-k8:    1 : fid 0xa (1800 MHz), vid 0x13
> > powernow-k8:    2 : fid 0x2 (1000 MHz), vid 0x1b
>
> The K8 family uses the VID conversion table described in AMD document
> 26094 (Table 74). Inside the kernel it is known as VRM version "2.4.
> This table leads me to the following values:

Ah nice to know, thx!

> (2000 MHz), vid 0x11 -> 1.125 V
> (1800 MHz), vid 0x13 -> 1.075 V
> (1000 MHz), vid 0x1b -> 0.875 V
>
> These values are significantly lower than the ones I am used to (1.40
> V, 1.35 V and 1.10 V, respectively). I am surprised by your words: "I
> set them to"... Do you mean that you somehow _decided_ to use these
> values instead of the standard ones?

Yes, I used a hack with which I can override the default vids. Of course I did
stability tests and ALU and FPU (->prime95) seems stable so far. (Using
gentoo I would have nonoticed if the compiler creates junk. ;-) So, by your
values given above, I have got a EE SFF version for the price of a regular
one. :-)

> Please check that the value of /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/vrm is
> 8.2 as expected.

It gives 24.

> converting the values properly. This could be caused by a device
> misconfiguration, or maybe by the IT8716F chip itself being
> underpowered?

I don't think the chip is responsible for it, if I do it on purpose, or do you
think it also causes some deviation?

> The driver should print some messages in the log when you load it, can
> you please copy them here?

it87: Found IT8716F chip at 0x290, revision 0
it87: in3 is VCC (+5V)
it87: in7 is VCCH (+5V)
it87: fan4 is enabled
it87: fan5 is enabled

Not too interesting, it seems, or is it?

> If temp2 is taken on the northbridge, and if you have no northbridge
> fan, and if your CPU is underpowered and has a good fan, it may make
> sense. I used to tell users that CPU temperature must always be above
> motherboard temperature, but I seem to be proven wrong more frequently.

> The best way to differenciate between CPU temperature and motherboard
> temperature is to put some load on the CPU, and see which temperature
> raises faster. A simple "md5sum /dev/zero" makes the trick.

Yes, I also concluded it this way, as the chipset is cooled passively and if I
stress the CPU temp1 goes up fast and when going idle again, it goes down
fast, as well. :-)

> Yeah, there are interesting similarities between your report and this
> one. Same motherboard manufacturer... I have had other reports for
> IT8716F chips where the voltages were in line with what the BIOS said.
> I wonder if these motherboards could be voluntarily underpowering all
> the devices, instead of only the CPU, to same power? That would be
> weird.
>
> One way to test this is as follows:
> Reboot your system, and make sure that the it87 driver will not be
> loaded at boot time.
> Dump the contents of the chip:
>   isadump -y 0x295 0x296 > /tmp/before.dump
> Load the it87 driver, run sensors once.
> Dump the contents of the chip again:
>   isadump -y 0x295 0x296 > /tmp/after.dump
> Send both files here.

Do you still want me to get the dumps, if you know now that I underpower on
purpose?

--
//\ Prakash Punnoor /\\