Asus M2NPV-VM and lm-sensors not working

Hi Prakash,

> I set them to:
> powernow-k8:    0 : fid 0xc (2000 MHz), vid 0x11
> powernow-k8:    1 : fid 0xa (1800 MHz), vid 0x13
> powernow-k8:    2 : fid 0x2 (1000 MHz), vid 0x1b

The K8 family uses the VID conversion table described in AMD document
26094 (Table 74). Inside the kernel it is known as VRM version "2.4.
This table leads me to the following values:

(2000 MHz), vid 0x11 -> 1.125 V
(1800 MHz), vid 0x13 -> 1.075 V
(1000 MHz), vid 0x1b -> 0.875 V

These values are significantly lower than the ones I am used to (1.40
V, 1.35 V and 1.10 V, respectively). I am surprised by your words: "I
set them to"... Do you mean that you somehow _decided_ to use these
values instead of the standard ones?

Please check that the value of /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/vrm is
8.2 as expected.

> > Can you copy all the hardware monitoring data provided by your BIOS?
> > This is the most useful data to customize the configuration file for a
> > given board.
>
> Here we go:
>
> Vcore 1,35 (so it show 0.05 too little, as stock vcore at 2GHz is 1.4, I
> should have set it down to 1.2 or 1.225, if I calced the hex corretly...)

Again, it sounds like you are underpowering your CPU on purpose?

> 3.3: 3.22
> 5: 5.03
> 12: 11.85
>
> comparing again with sensors:
>
> k8temp-pci-00c3
> Adapter: PCI adapter
> Core0 Temp:
>              +33?C
> Core1 Temp:
>              +35?C
>
> it8716-isa-0290
> Adapter: ISA adapter
> VCore:     +0.80 V  (min =  +4.08 V, max =  +4.08 V)   ALARM
> VDDR:      +3.12 V  (min =  +4.08 V, max =  +4.08 V)   ALARM
> +3.3V:     +0.00 V  (min =  +4.08 V, max =  +4.08 V)   ALARM
> +5V:       +4.84 V  (min =  +6.85 V, max =  +6.85 V)   ALARM
> +12V:     +11.52 V  (min = +16.32 V, max = +16.32 V)   ALARM
> in5:       +0.00 V  (min =  +4.08 V, max =  +4.08 V)   ALARM
> in6:       +0.00 V  (min =  +4.08 V, max =  +4.08 V)   ALARM
> 5VSB:      +4.70 V  (min =  +6.85 V, max =  +6.85 V)   ALARM
> VBat:      +2.88 V
> fan1:     1800 RPM  (min = 6490 RPM)                   ALARM
> fan2:        0 RPM  (min = 6490 RPM)                   ALARM
> fan3:     1560 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
> temp1:       +28?C  (low  =    -1?C, high =    -1?C)   sensor = diode
> temp2:       +42?C  (low  =    -1?C, high =    -1?C)   sensor = thermistor
> temp3:       +25?C  (low  =    -1?C, high =    -1?C)   sensor = thermistor
> vid:       +0.00 V
>
> We see that sensors reports a bit too little voltages across the board.

Indeed, by ~4%. I can't explain it, the way to decode voltage values is
pretty standard at least for voltages below 4.1 V. The fact that even
the battery value is 4% off suggests that this is the ADC not
converting the values properly. This could be caused by a device
misconfiguration, or maybe by the IT8716F chip itself being
underpowered?

The driver should print some messages in the log when you load it, can
you please copy them here?

> Interesting that the temp sensors - though conforming to bios values - are
> giving quite ridiculous values. temp2 - motherboard temp - is way higher than
> cpu temp, but on the other hand I don't know where the 2nd sensor is and
> whether the chipset actually gets hotter

If temp2 is taken on the northbridge, and if you have no northbridge
fan, and if your CPU is underpowered and has a good fan, it may make
sense. I used to tell users that CPU temperature must always be above
motherboard temperature, but I seem to be proven wrong more frequently.

The best way to differenciate between CPU temperature and motherboard
temperature is to put some load on the CPU, and see which temperature
raises faster. A simple "md5sum /dev/zero" makes the trick.

> > > I am also pretty sure that VCore is wrong:
> >
> > It looks reasonable to me.
>
> Nope, if I interpret it correctly
> http://lists.lm-sensors.org/pipermail/lm-sensors/2006-August/017356.html
>
> has the same problem if you compare bios vcore and sensors output.

Yeah, there are interesting similarities between your report and this
one. Same motherboard manufacturer... I have had other reports for
IT8716F chips where the voltages were in line with what the BIOS said.
I wonder if these motherboards could be voluntarily underpowering all
the devices, instead of only the CPU, to same power? That would be
weird.

One way to test this is as follows:
Reboot your system, and make sure that the it87 driver will not be
loaded at boot time.
Dump the contents of the chip:
  isadump -y 0x295 0x296 > /tmp/before.dump
Load the it87 driver, run sensors once.
Dump the contents of the chip again:
  isadump -y 0x295 0x296 > /tmp/after.dump
Send both files here.

If the voltage registers in both dumps are the same, it means the it87
driver has nothing to do with it.

> > The decoding depends on the CPU. In theory the kernel detects it and
> > picks the right decoding formula but if your CPU is really new, it
> > might use a table we don't know yet. What is your exact CPU model?
>
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 75
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
> stepping        : 2
>
> It is the new AM2 "regular" version.

Do you know where I can get technical documentation for your
processor? My reference document for K8 CPUs was AMD document 30430 so
far, but I can't find your CPU revision there.

> > > CPU: 780
> > > POWER: 777
> > >
> > > wheres sensors reports too high values
> > > fan1:     1323 RPM  (min = 6490 RPM)                   ALARM
> > > fan2:        0 RPM  (min = 6490 RPM)                   ALARM
> > > fan3:     1564 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
> >
> > So you are affected by the problem too...
> >
> > What do you think are the correct values for your fans, the BIOS' ones,
> > or sensors' ones?
>
> I think the bios ones are right, as if I disable fan management, it shows CPU
> fan at 2335 which fits well enough to Artcic Cooling Freezer 64 specs at
> 2200rpm.

Almost all reporters seem to agree on that fact, and one ITE tech guy
just confirmed it to me... I'll fix the driver.

> (Yes my machine is "ultra silent", so it is possible that fans run
> at ~800 rpm when idle. It also just consumes 50Watt when idle...)

Nice. I tried something similar for my home server, except that it's
using old hardware (Pentium III 800 MHz...) It is somewhere around 50 W
too, and pretty silent as well (mostly thanks to the Fortron PSU and the
Seagate hard disk drive.)

> On the other hand, when I disable fan management, the fan makes quite some
> noise which might be too high for a 2200rpm fan, but maybe I am just used to
> silence. ;-)

Depends on the size of the fan. A 120 mm fan at 2200 RPM should be
almost silent. A 60 mm fan at 2200 RPM can already make some noise,
although it should be acceptable.

> > > fan1:     46551 RPM  (min = 6490 RPM)                   ALARM
> > > fan2:        0 RPM  (min = 6490 RPM)                   ALARM
> > > fan3:     1551 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
> >
> > Very strange. Are you using fan speed control? This could induce some
> > noise in the speed sensing.
>
> Yes Asus' so called "q-fan2".

I guess you won't observe the phenomenon with it disabled.

> > Do you have similar effects when looking at
> > the values in the BIOS?
>
> Well, I haven't observed the bios long enough, as such values usually just
> appear for short times. But I noticed at times the bios also shows wrong
> values, as it shows "0" instead of ~800. Perhaps here the same thing hapens,
> but the bios clips the value correctly?

I'm not sure about the "correctly" but yet the BIOS is most certainly
trimming the values it considers too high to be relistic. But I am
reluctant to do this in our drivers. It's up to the hardware to improve
to make it possible to control fans and still monitor them. I think
that's where we are going with 4-wire fans.

--
Jean Delvare