[RFC-patch] pc87360 - unchecked rc=device_create_file() fixes

Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 01:35:30PM -0600, Jim Cromie wrote:
>
>> Jean Delvare wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jim,
>>>

>> hi !
>>
>> BTW - are you considering these as 18 bugfix material, or are they
>> "long standing sub-optimalities" for 19 when it opens ?  (ie when 18 is out)
>>
>> Obviously (from the experimentalism in my patches), Ive been treating it
>> as 19 stuff ;-)
>> Apologies for making this more *in-need-of-feedback* than it has to be,
>> but I guess I cant quite resist..
>>

>>> Now I agree that, even then, we probably will never see two
>>>
>> of the same kind of  (not that the distinction matters here..)
>>
>>> Super-I/O
>>> chip on the same board, so that's not really an issue.
>>>

>> Um.. I just looked at asb100.c, and Im seeing static decls like:
>>        static DEVICE_ATTR(..)
>>
>> Unless Im misunderstanding something, this is sufficient to preclude
>> supporting a 2nd device.
>> IOW, to support multiple devices, drivers would need to create
>> attributes, groups, etc out of
>> kalloc'd memory, sacrificing the (heavy) use of static initialization in
>> hwmon/*.c
>>

> No, you are incorrect, it will work just fine.  The dynamic thing is the
> struct device, not the functions that make up the file callbacks.

Im not speaking of the callbacks themselves, rather the
device_attributes that
keep references to them.  Assuming 2 'static DEVICE_ATTR()'s,
that are init'd with names "in0_max", "in1_max". theyre separate
attributes,
reusing the same show,store functions, thru separate refs.  Correct ?

Are you saying that I could reuse a statically defined group (ie the
device_attrs within it)
to create another set of attr-files ?

IOW - pc87360 creates this:

soekris:/sys/devices/platform/i2c-9191/9191-6620# ls
alarms_in      in1_input   in4_min     in8_input     temp2_crit
temp4_status
alarms_temp    in1_max     in4_status  in8_max       temp2_input
temp5_crit
bus@           in1_min     in5_input   in8_min       temp2_max
temp5_input
cpu0_vid       in1_status  in5_max     in8_status    temp2_min     temp5_max

Could same static structures also support a 2nd set  ?   (assuming other
limits are lifted)

soekris:/sys/devices/platform/i2c-(another-number)/(another-number)-6620# ls
alarms_in      in1_input   in4_min     in8_input     temp2_crit
temp4_status
alarms_temp    in1_max     in4_status  in8_max       temp2_input
temp5_crit

or would they need to be separate ? ( and hence better to be kallocd,
then initialized )

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Also, Id rather hoped you'd respond to the hack in fs/sysfs/group.c,
were you just being polite ? :-}

thanks
jimc