18-rc1-mm1 and unchecked return-codes

Hi Jim:

* Jim Cromie <jim.cromie at gmail.com> [2006-07-27 16:07:05 -0600]:
> >> FWIW, device_remove_file() is only called 9 times.
> >>
> 8 from hwmon/ams.c
> 1 from hwmon/lm70.c
>
> This compares rather sparsely against:
> [jimc at harpo linux-2.6.18-rc2-mm1-sk]$ grep device_create_file
> drivers/hwmon/*.c |wc
>    1027    3046   83340
>
> Is it truly this optional ?

At present, yes.  When the device goes away, the sysfs files go away too.
This will become a problem though when we (eventually) move to persistent
(i2c) devices, so we might as well fix it up now.

> >> Ive gone ahead and worked up a patch against pc87360 to
> >> count-errors-and-warn, which should suffice, at least for short term.
> >>

> > (Hopefully) I'll take a look at this later today.
> >

> dashed-hopes  ;-)
> If you'd rather punt, I'll send it on to lkml, but I suppose Id like to
> keep it in-channel.

Someday I will learn to keep my fantasies about free time to myself.  But
you didn't actually send your patch to the list right (?)  At least I can't
find it now that I'm looking again.

Anyway... I guess we should stuff all those attributes in a table and run
over them with a for loop.  Then if we catch an error, we can run back
through the table in reverse.  I mean, what else can we do right?  I'll
patch the following to start, all of which I can either test easily or
for which I'm responsible anyway...

	asb100, lm75, lm78, smsc47b397, w83627hf

Any volunteers for the other 38?

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman