18-rc1-mm1 and unchecked return-codes

Hi Jim:

* Jim Cromie <jim.cromie at gmail.com> [2006-07-11 12:33:33 -0600]:

> from the 18-rc1-mm1 announcement:
>
> - We're getting a relatively large number of crash reports coming out of the
>   core sysfs/kobject/driver/bus code, and they're all really hard to diagnose.
>
>   I am suspecting that what's happening is that some registration functions
>   are failing and the caller is ignoring that failure.  The code proceeds and
>   crashes much later, in obscure ways.
>
>   All these functions return error codes, and we're not checking them.  We
>   should.  So there's a patch which marks all these things as __must_check,
>   which causes around 1,500 new warnings.
>
>   These are all bugs and they all need to be fixed.
>

> Many of these 1500 are from lm-sensors modules;
> for example - a single function - device_create_file(),
> is called 1027 times, and 'every' one is a void context return.
>
>      grep device_create_file drivers/hwmon/*.c
>
> So, what kinds of errors are possible here ?
> and what should we do if they occur ?
> does it ever happen that only 1 create fails ?
> do/would we care ? (not currently)
>
> These Qs are somewhat rhetorical, theyre at least a heads-up.

I can't resist answering rhetorical questions. ;)

At least in the context of what Andrew wrote, the calls to device_create_file()
in the hwmon drivers are not the problem.  AFAICT, if one or more sysfs files
fail to be created, the worst that might happen is that *maybe* sensors(1) could
crash.  Offhand, I can't see how missing sysfs files could lead to a kernel crash.

At any rate, yes, they're still bugs.

OTOH, there is a real need to review some of the error checking in the I2C
core - where ignoring status can and does cause kernel panics.  See some
recent patches by both Jean and me for examples... and there are more.

> FWIW, device_remove_file() is only called 9 times.
> This doesnt seem to be a problem though, or we'd have heard it by now.
> Specifically - hwmon/pc87360 appears to clean up after itself,
> (or rather sysfs core code does), without any calls to device_remove_file()
>
> soekris:/sys/bus/i2c/devices# ls
> 9191-6620@
> soekris:/sys/bus/i2c/devices# rmmod pc87360
> soekris:/sys/bus/i2c/devices# ls
> soekris:/sys/bus/i2c/devices#
>

> Ive gone ahead and worked up a patch against pc87360 to
> count-errors-and-warn, which should suffice, at least for short term.

(Hopefully) I'll take a look at this later today.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman at lightlink.com