A better fan control program

Hi Paul:

* Paul Crowley <paul at lshift.net> [2006-06-28 13:13:40 +0100]:
> Mark M. Hoffman wrote:
> > I skimmed through the blog entry and the earlier one which it references.
> > In your first attempt you reinvented the 'P' part of a PID control loop.
> > Don't give up! ;)  There's a *ton* of info about PID controllers on the
> > web.  If you're still interested, you could start here:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller
>
> Very interesting stuff, thanks!
>
> My quick reading of this stuff indicates a possible problem.  On my
> system at least, I can only read the temperature in whole degrees;
> lm-sensors returns a number in thousandths of a degree, but sadly the
> last three digits are always zero.  This means that our differentiation
> of the temperature will be very crude, which could make it difficult to
> build a functioning PID controller.

Read under 'Limitations' in the wikipedia article.  One suggestion is
to just skip the differential band altogether (PI controller).

> How can I find out the maximum safe operating temperature of my current
> CPU?  Since my first priority is something that works on my current
> system, the only reason for me to pick this up again and explore in more
> detail is if I can afford to slow the fan even when the system is flat
> out, which means I need to know how fast I can run it.

You can find this info in processor datasheets, which are available on
Intel/AMD websites.  It shouldn't be too hard to find.  Otherwise, you
could consider 55 C to be a very conservative limit.  Some Intel cpus
are OK up to 85 C, but it really does depend on the model *and* maybe
even the stepping.

Something else to consider: if you do tune your system to keep the CPU
near max temp, make sure that the extra heat is not going to affect
your disk(s).

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman