LM Sensors autoconfig tool project awarded as google SOC project

Hi Roger:

* Roger Lucas <roger at planbit.co.uk> [2006-05-31 15:58:49 +0100]:
> We use "sensors" as a back-end system for a GUI.  We didn't need to pick
> this exact naming convention, but the example names in the sensors.conf file
> were not consistent and we needed to pick a standard.  We didn't want to
> have to re-write the GUI if we suddenly had a motherboard with an extra fan
> input, so we needed a way for the sensor names to make sense to the GUI so
> that it could adapt its display accordingly.  What I posted was our solution
> to the problem.
>
> There are many other solutions, but that was the one that we chose.  As a
> general comment, however, in the *nix world, pretty much any utility that
> only runs on the command line has to consider itself as a source of data for
> other tools and should really try to make some effort to offer output (or at
> least an optional output mode) which makes parsing its output by other
> scripts easy.  All the LVM tools, for example, offer such modes as do tools
> like dmidecode.  On the other hand, some of the SAMBA tools such as
> smbstatus do not, and their output is very hard to reliably parse under
> certain conditions.  I know which style of tools I prefer to work with...
>
> I admit that the command-line mode is widely used in Linux, but so are
> KDE/Gnome/xxxx-window-manager GUIs.  As I understand it, "sensors" is the
> recommended tool for access to the lm-sensors subsystem, then its output
> should be parseable so that the GUI can re-structure it as required.  As it

Really, you should use libsensors directly if that's your goal.  We're not
in the habit of making gratuitous changes to the output of sensors(1), but
AFAIK it's not considered a requirement.

BTW: the output of 'sensors -u' might be easier for you to parse.

> currently stands, there are a range of different description strings in
> sensors.conf.  At the very least, if a centralised archive of sensors.conf
> files is to be created then we need a naming convention for the sensor
> values in just the same way that the sensor names themselves follow a
> standard.  If we don't then anyone "downstream" of sensors will have a
> horrible job trying to work out exactly what sensors they have and how to
> display them.  If we want, we could have a short machine-style version and a
> longer human style version.  I really don't mind, but for my needs, I need a
> name that can be parsed easily and which is consistent across all the
> motherboards that I am using (or may use in the future).

The autoconfigurator will still allow custom /etc/sensors.conf I'm sure.  Is
there something else you need?

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman