procedure for submitting patches

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 07:36:08PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:

> > I'm not about to submit a patch, but sometime in the future I will be
> > doing so, so I want to understand fully how it works around here.
> > Firstly some notes though:
> >
> > In the module that I'm working on:
> >
> >     (a) I have found (and fixed) a bug in the original code.
> >     (b) I have made enhancements that are not all related to one
> >         another.
> >
> > Should I submit seperate patches for all the different bits that I've
> > done, or should I (at least initially) submit one huge patch for the
> > lot?
>
> Alawys submit seperate patches. There are no exceptions to this rule.
>
> > Is there one specific person that I should send the patch(es) to, or is
> > the list the place where it all happens?
>
> Yes, this list is the right place (assuming your work is related to
> hardware monitoring or i2c). For bug fixes, or if you think your patch
> is ready to be pushed upstream, it's a good idea to Cc me.
>
> > I'm pretty new to all this, so I can imagine that my code will have to
> > be massaged a bit to fit in properly..
>
> Probably, but we try to be nice with newcomers, so don't worry :)

Thanks Jean. I've pretty much finished with my changes to scx200_acb.c
but I won't submit any patches until I've done some fairly heavy
testing because making the driver operate as a slave using interrupts
is quite a big change (in my opinion), and I don't want to submit
something that's buggy.

Regards,
Thomas