Microchip 24LC256

I took a look at the eepromer tools and I will try
them first before writing a full blown driver.

We wired up a test board for the 24LC256 part and
plugged it into an i2c header on our dev board.  The
part was wired up to be address 0x04.  I would like to
see i2cdetect find the chip at its address, but did
not.  Looking at the documentation for i2cdetect tells
me that this program does not detect all chips. Will
it work for the 24LC256?  If it doesn't, are there any
other tools that would get me past the step of seeing
the chip sitting on the bus at a particular address so
I can start reading and writing...

Thanks,
Tom