Can't access procfs/sysfs file - 2.6.14.6

Hi Warren:

* Warren Wilder <wipwap19 at hotmail.com> [2006-02-24 19:51:45 +0000]:
> I have noticed others had this problem, but it turned out to be some
> configuration issue. Hopefully this is the case for me as well. I am
> slightly worried that I have to wait for the 'eeprom' module, which my Via
> VT1211 chip seems to need.

That doesn't make sense: no sensors/hwmon chip needs the eeprom module.

> My system:  (Via SP13000)
> HLFS (Hardened Linux From Scratch) with kernel 2.6.14.6
> sysfs compiled and mounted
>
> running sensors-detect notifies me of these required modules:
> i2c-viapro
> i2c-dev
> I can succesfully load both.

So, sensors-detect doesn't find vt1211?  Can we see the full output?

> When I run sensors I get this notice:
> Can't access procfs/sysfs file
> Unable to find i2c bus information;
> For 2.6 kernels, make sure you have mounted sysfs and libsensors
> was compiled with sysfs support!
> For older kernels, make sure you have done 'modprobe i2c-proc'!

What modules are loaded and/or builtin when you run sensors?

> The thing is, I haven't build libsensors with sysfs support, since the
> INSTALL and QUICKSTART files inform me of not having to do anything,
> besides 'make user and make user_install' if I have a 2.6 kernel with i2c
> modules compiled.
> Since I also have udev on my system I am leaning towards missing some sort
> of udev rule.

If you were running a 2.6.x kernel when you built libsensors, then it almost
certainly did the right thing.  You can run 'ldd `which sensors`' to be sure.

> Please inform me of the next step.

Reply-to-all with the requested info.  Thanks.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman at lightlink.com