uGuru on Abit AA8XE Fatal1ty

Hi Hans,

I've done a bit more digging.  After much rmmod and modprobe-ing, it seemed
that there was a problem with the temperature detection.  When scanning to
determine which mode the input was in (around line 579) there is a delay for
20ms to wait for the temperature alarm to be set.  The code looked good, so
I suspected that the uGuru was being a bit slow to react.  I increased the
delay to 100ms ( "schedule_timeout(HZ/10);" ) and this immediately cured the
problem.  I have done a dozen restarts with this change and it seems
reliable.  I don't know what the "correct" timeout is, but 20ms is marginal
and 100ms seems reliable.

BTW, this whole uGuru this is pretty poor.  Its behaviour in the BIOS is not
good.  You sometimes have to make the same setting multiple times before the
uGuru seems to actually accept it.

As an aside, I have also noticed that the Northbridge fan sometimes won't
start on the motherboard.  There is a null spot on the fan, and if it starts
with a low voltage (set from the uGuru because the Northbridge temp is low
=> it tries to set a low fan speed by setting a low voltage) then the fan
just doesn't start.  Even when the Northbridge starts to heat up, the slow
voltage rise on the fan isn't enough to "kick" it into spinning.  I strongly
suggest that if you are using Abit motherboards, that you disable the
Northbridge uGuru fan control.  This will set the fan to run at full speed
all the time and the 12v kick on the fan on powerup is enough to make it
start reliably.

Best regards,

Roger