seeking a W83687THF patch for 2.6.15 (re: ticket 1944)

Steven Karatnyk wrote:

>Hi Jean,
>
>I have the misfortune of having the Windbond W83687THF Super I/O IC on
>my Soltek motherboard (SL-B9D-FGR).
>
>I tried manually patching the w83627hf.c file contained in the 2.6.15
>sources with the changes outlined in the experimental patch for
>2.6.13-rc3 found on the lm_sensors drivers page.  There were a few
>differences in line numbers but thats about it (i.e. it was pretty
>straightforward what to change).  Unfortunately, it didn't work for me
>(sensors-detect didn't detect...didn't even probe for this chip).  This
>was probably predictable, as I'm not at all familiar with what was
>required and what all else would have needed to have been changed (i.e.
>I was just taking a stab in the dark in hopes that I might get it right).
>
>Which brings me to my question: how do I go about applying the
>experimental code/patch in order to gain support for my board' w83687thf ?
>
>Thanks, CK

for sensors support:
http://lm-sensors.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://lm-sensors.org/trac/
read the FAQs there.

if you can build a kernel, and can apply a patch,
then you can get the ones ready for 2.6.16 here.
http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/i2c/linux-2.6/

If you cant do that, try http://kernelnewbies.org/
Im sure theyve got some info that will help.

the series file in there lists the patches in the order you need to
apply them.
to a 2.6.15 tree
Theyre slated for inclusion in 16, and some of them are *thf patches.
You *could* try just the *thf patches, you should know by compiling
whether you need others.

theres also 2 tars, might save you some hassle.

BTW - youd do well to drop the *misfortunate* posture.
I cant speak for that chip, but Winbond is supporting their product,
one or more of them is on-list here, and they appear to
play-nice-with-others.

Remember what used to happen to the sissys and whiners on the school
playground ?   We may be more grown up now, but human nature is what it is.