lm-sensors install changed/corrupted BIOS/chip_firmware???!!!

>> My guess is that the POST hangs because of the high (and obviously
>> incorrect) CPU temp value.

LOL.  Yeah, could be the BIOS is saying "Hey, this guy's CPU is
already hot enough to roast a chicken ... maybe we shouldn't
continue with the boot process!"  (Although it will merrily
continue booting if I simply tell it not to DISPLAY my hardware
status during POST.  Sounds like the BIOS could use a little
more robust programming!)

>> The first thing to try would be to unlug the system for a few minutes.
>> Don't just power it off. Unplug it. Most motherboard nowadays are still
>> powered even when the system is off. I expect your system to be back to
>> normal when you then plug it in. Until the next time you load the it87
>> driver and/or run "sensors -s", that is.

Bingo!  I don't know why I didn't think of this.  I unplugged
for about 45 minutes and now all appears back to normal.

Now that I no longer think lm-sensors did some non-reversable
voodoo on my motherboard, I'll play around with things more
tonight after work (gotta go now).

A quick note on one of your other questions:

>>>Do you want to add these lines to /etc/modules automatically? (yes/NO)NO
>>
>> How come that the it87 driver is loaded if you did not add it to
>> /etc/modules?

The first time I ran sensors-detect I >> did << tell it to add the
lines to /etc/modules.  After that I experienced my POST problems
on reboot.  So then I ran sensors-detect a second time, to supply you
with the info that I thought you'd need.  It was the output of that
second run that I attached to my post.  During that second run
I did >> not << tell sensors-detect to add the lines to /etc/modules
because I knew they would (should?) already be there.  Note that
I was not able to boot to run sensors-detect that second time until
some time later ... after figuring out the BIOS setup change I needed
to get my computer bootable again.

This also answers one of your other questions:

>> How come that you use the lm90 driver while sensors-detect did not
>> suggest you should do so?

sensors-detect >> did << suggest that I use lm90 on the first run.
On the second run it apparently did not (possibly because the lm90
module was already loaded from the first run?)  I did not notice
the inconsistancy in the sensors-detect output from the first and
second runs until you pointed it out here.

Unfortunately, I did not capture sensors-detect output the first
time I ran it, so I cannot post that here to prove to you what I'm
saying.  I do take notes in a logbook whenever I'm twiddling with
my computer however, and I can tell you what sensors-detect daid
the firt run.  Not exact words, but I can transcribe the jist
of what was said from my handwritten notes pretty closely.  Here goes:

--- transcribe ---

Driver 'lm90' should be inserter
   Bus SMBus nForce2 adapter at 4c40
   Busdriver 'ic2-nforce2' I2C addresss 0x4c
   Chip Natl semiLM90 (confidence: 8)

Driver 'eeprom' should be inserted
   Bus SMBus nforce2 adapter at 4c00
   Busdriver 'ic2-nforce2' I2C address 0x50
   Chip SPD EEPROM (confidence: 8)

Driver 'it87' should be inserted
   ISA bus address 0x0290 Busdriver i2c-isa
   Chip ITE 8712F Super IO sensor (confidence: 9)

If you have a choice, do you want ISA of I2C/SMBus?: ISA

Automatically add these lines to /etc/modules?: YES

#--- cut here ---
# I2C adapter drivers
i2c-nforce2
i2c-isa
# I2C chip driver
lm90
eeprom
it87
#--- cut here ---

--- transcribe ---

After the above, I manually looked at /etc/modules and verified
that the lines had automatically been added.

I then ran "lsmod | grep it87" to see if they had been loaded.
Evidently not, since lsmod did not know of them.  So that's
when I rebooted ... to give everything a chance to get
settled down and loaded.  It was that first reboot where
I saw POST displaying a CPU temp of 246 and hanging.  I tried
the reboot multiple times to see if things would improve (they
didn't).  So on the next reboot I went into BIOS setup and
started snooping around.  Nothing looked out of the ordinary
on a quick look, but I can't say I remember each and every
normal BIOS setting on my computer.  While in BIOS setup I
changed the "Display hardware monitor in POST" setting to
"disabled".  Just as a test to see what might happen.  After
doing that I was able to boot normally.  I rebooted again
and went back into BIOS setup on re-enabled that POST hardware
status display.  It hung again.  Disabled it and the hang
was gone.  That's when I posted my first message to this
mailing list.

Thank you for the power down suggestion.  I should have known
to try that.  You would think I'd remember back to days long
past when I got my Electrical Engineering degree.  The mantra
back then was:  "It ain't working?  Check the power.  If it
doesn't have it ... get it there.  If it DOES have it, take
it away for a while, then put it back and see what happens."
This, combined with duct tape and WD-40 lube spray, will allow
you to solve just about any problem!