userspace dev-interface linux-2.6.7

hi

i use a userspace program to access /dev/i2c-0 which
uses (/doc/dev-interface)
#include <linux/i2c.h>
#include <linux/i2c-dev.h>
which works fine in linux-2.4.x

'porting' this to linux-2.6.7 causes too many errors.
can anyone point me to the right direction so solve these ?
(i realised in 2.6.7 the smbus macros are missing in i2c-dev.h
so i am basically a bit lost...)

a more interesting question (for me at least) is -
do i actually need to do that.
just today (i must admit) i tried lmsensors for the first time,
crosscompiled 'i2cdetect' and realised it can find all my devices
attached to /dev/i2c-0.
so, can i read and write to the devices found by i2cdetect
(e.g 0x4b on /dev/i2c-0)
using kernel drivers rather than my userspace program,
if so how (or where can i read about it) ?

cheers,
   nils