Query: pentium II LM75 for CPU temp

Greetings,

lm_sensors web site states boxed pentiumII processors have an
LM75 near CPU to measure CPU temperature...

So I load the lm75 module, it finds an i2c address but reports
'3000' for the three temp variables.

But if I run sensors-detect, it does not find anything at the
same i2c address, no other sensor chips.

I do know the mainboard has a PCA8550 hanging off i2c, but I don't
think lmsensors bothers with it as it is a 5-bit eeprom mux/latch.

Mainboard is SE440BX-2

Cheers,
Grant.