RFC locking and rate limit updates for i2c?

Hi Khali, Philip,

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:02:29 +0100 (CET), "Jean Delvare" <khali at linux-fr.org> wrote:
..
>All in all, I think we made it clear that all sysfs callbacks which write
>to a register and update the cache need locking. If a few ones don't
>need it for obscure reasons, it's probably not a problem to still lock
>there, as this will prevent the introduction of race conditions in the
>future for a very small price.

And leads to a simple guideline for porters/authors, unnecessary
locking is harmless, a missing lock may become an obsure buglet.

I still go for lm85 locking model, perhaps overdone but seems
clearly safe.  Certainly easy to point at lm85 as reference
model for write locking in the author / porter guide.

Then think of reader locking, can drivers simply return
-error_update_in_progress_uncertain_data_value_try_again ?

Does sysfs have normal unix filelocking: exclusive write,
non-exclusive read?  Or is that what the driver is enforcing?
Or is advisory locking too hard to clue-bat end user with?

Moving on:
What I do need is a list of drivers that will be handled by
others, then I'll update the 'orphans', as well as continue
the DIV_TO_REG removal work in progress.

Is it time for me to learn the 'ticket' system?

Who is documenting this?

Cheers,
Grant.