Who should I write to about this OOPS in 2,6,11-mm3?

Hi Tony,

> I've only seen the savage bug report.  Yes, unfortunately, this is the
> case of 2 drivers attempting to control a single device since the
> savagefb and the i2c prosavage drivers will attempt to ioremap the
> same mmio region. If you need the i2c prosavage bus, then savagefb
> must be completely disabled, as setting CONFIG_FB_SAVAGE_I2C to n will
> not help.  If both savagefb and i2c are needed, then you just have to
> use the i2c bus registered by savagefb.

I understand the problem you describe, and it should certainly be
addressed by Kconfig dependencies. However, I don't think this is the
problem here. If you look at the configuration file, you'll see that
neither i2c-prosavage nor i2c-savage4 are enabled:

# CONFIG_I2C_PROSAVAGE is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_SAVAGE4 is not set

> And yes, there is code duplication, but unfortunately savagefb cannot
> use the i2c-prosavage bus since one of them will fail to acquire the
> io regions.

I wonder if the standalone i2c drivers are needed at all anymore, now
that the framebuffer driver includes the same functionality.

> I haven't seen the nvidiafb report, but it is probably something
> similar.

Note that there is no i2c bus driver for nvidia graphics adapters in the
kernel tree. The conflicting driver is rivatv and it lives outside the
kernel tree.

Miles, are you by any chance using rivatv?

Tony, Miles' original report is here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=111076667232062&w=2
Sorry for providing the link before.

Thanks,